However, I have found little in the way of answers as to how to respect my husband. I even ask in my premarriage counseling sessions how to do it and did not get an answer other than that I have to do it. I need to know how.
I am afraid that not knowing is ruining my marriage. Just loving each other and loving God does not seem like enough. I can feel that I am not giving my husband what he needs, so I have decided to research it myself and to put my journey online. I hope that if you are struggling with how to properly love God and your husband you can gain insight and encouragement from my journey. I will be using whatever God brings me to learn... bible studies, books, other websites, etc.
Today, I decided to start with the scriptural mandate and the dictionary.
Scripture: Ephesians 5:33b - "and the wife must respect her husband."
So what does respect mean? According to Microsoft Bookshelf 98, respect means:
- to feel or show deferential regard for; esteem
- to avoid violation of or interference with... such as in respecting the speed limit
- to relate or refer to; concern
Synonyms are: esteem, prize, appreciate
So, I assigned myself the following homework tonight:
- List one way I can show appreciation for my husband tonight. Then do it.
- Write out one way that I can make it a point to not violate him or interfere with my husband. How am I stepping on his toes at home? And, how can I stop?